How To Optimize Your Shopify App Listing on the New Shopify App Store.
Don’t neglect your Shopify app store listing. Instead, optimize it by following these steps so that merchants not only see your app, but use it too…
Since re-launching a new and updated app store in September 2018, Shopify has added many new features to enable merchants to find what they need, faster. The additions of subcategories and improved app listing pages have created a marketplace for the merchant to browse and find EXACTLY what they’re looking for.
Shopify has described the upgraded store as a more intelligent Shopify app store. One that makes it easier for merchants to discover, evaluate and use apps to help them run their e-commerce business.
By optimising your listing on the Shopify app store, you’ll become more visible to merchants and you will notice an increase in app installs.
Considering 87% of merchants say that they rely on apps to improve their business, it’s never been more important to clearly define the benefits of your app and shout about them by optimising your Shopify app’s listing.
The categorisation of apps has been improved by the addition of over 80 subcategories, organising them in relation to what they do and what problems they solve for ecommerce businesses of all sizes.
The User Experience
The UX of the updated app store makes it easier for you to deliver a clear and concise message for merchants to understand the benefits of your app. With the use of clear copy and visuals, the merchant can see precisely what your app does and how it will benefit them. They can easily access pricing, key benefits and support information.
Filters and Recommendations
This is an incredible bonus when looking to highlight the specific benefits of your Shopify app.
The search facility now features additional filters so that merchants can narrow down their results and leave them with fewer, yet more valuable applications. With the assistance of improved recommendations to help more relevant apps appear, the merchant can now access everything they’re looking for with less hassle.
How Can You Make Sure Merchants Find Your App on the New Shopify App Store?
Now we know how it works, let’s look at how to optimize your Shopify app listing in the Shopify app store.
Meet Shopify’s Requirements
Firstly, Shopify has set out some guidelines and a useful checklist for developers who would like to launch an app on the app store.
It covers everything you need to get started. It includes things like:
- Branding and listing
- Installation and on-boarding
- Functionality and quality
Know Your Customer
Research, research, research. It pays to know who your target audience is and why they need your app to solve some of their problems.
Survey and interview your customers: pull out the words they use to describe your app and use these words to craft persuasive copy in your Shopify app listing.
Consider building persona profiles by speaking and listening to what your customers want, figure out their biggest pain points, who they are and how they like to do business.
Use these persona profiles to create a listing that attracts your ideal customers. The more a merchant can relate to your app, the more valuable your product will become. (we do exactly this for Shopify apps).
The information in your Shopify app store listing is used to determine how and where you will show up in the store’s search results.
Not only that, but the information you provide will help merchants to clearly understand the value and uniqueness of your product and determine whether or not it will help them run their business.
So be sure to provide the relevant details to optimize your listing and keep it attractive to the merchant; conveyed in a language they understand.
What Needs to Be Particularly Clear?
- PRICING – The merchant needs to be able to see what your app is going to cost their business and why they should invest in your app. What packages are available, do you have free trials? If yes, how long are they? Is this a monthly or one-off payment? Make it obvious from the start. No-one likes hidden costs.
- FAQ/SUPPORT – This is a biggie. Merchants need to know they can rely on you for support as and when they need it. They are using your app to improve their business, that’s why they found you, so naturally, they will want to be able to ask questions and remedy any issues as soon as possible.
The way you present information on your Shopify app store listing and how you sound is extremely important to persuading merchants to download your Shopify app.
Consider the following:
- YOUR LOGO- Make sure your Shopify app logo is attractive and unique. A memorable logo will be strong and consistent and have a massive effect on the popularity of an app. The stronger a brand is, the more reliable and trusted it will be.
- INFORMATIVE IMAGERY- The use of visuals on your listing will immediately capture the merchant and display what you do and how. The merchant is more likely to respond to images on your app listing before they read what it does.
- DEMO VISUALS- Uploading demo videos, images and screenshots that distinctly display the key benefits to choosing your service engages the reader and keeps them intrigued to learn more.
- CONTENT AND COPY- Keep your copy memorable and attractive. What you put across in your content and copy should be as clear, concise and desirable as the messages in your visuals. Keep everything consistent with your branding, your core message and your ethos across all channels.
- CONTENT MARKETING – It is extremely important to dedicate time to the development of a content marketing strategy which consistently drives traffic to your Shopify app listing. This should include your website’s copy, blogging, social media channels, partnership content and guest posting on platforms such as Medium and Forbes.
- INTERNAL LINK BUILDING – Internal link building is a powerful strategy that is often overlooked. BUT when done right, internal link building can do wonders for your Shopify app’s visibility. This involves placing strategic hyperlinks between web pages on the same domain and creating a web of connected pages that are all driving traffic to your app listing.
- KEYWORDS- Use keywords and phrases that directly relate to your app and it’s benefits. If done carefully (no stuffing!), keywords in the content of your app listing will not only relate to the merchant and their business pain points but also help you with SEO in the Shopify app search engine.
Remember that carefully crafted copy goes a long way when it comes to ASO (App store optimization) – it needs to be clear and consistent.
If you’re unsure of where to start, there are plenty of experts who can do this for you.
TRACK YOUR PERFORMANCE
Last but not least, by any means, is analytics. Always keep track of how your listing is performing using Google Analytics.
Using this tool will help you see how many merchants your listing is reaching when they are finding you and if it’s working to its full potential (and when you need to boost it if not).
By using all of these fundamentals, you can create an optimised listing that’s engaging, effective and successful. Now you have the tools, what are you waiting for?
Contact us for help with optimising your Shopify app listing today.